Sunday, September 11, 2016

PS - Weekend in Ghana

After I wrapped up in Liberia, I took the short flight over to Ghana for a three-day visit. It was very interesting to see the relatively high level of development in Accra (the capital city), as opposed to Monrovia, and it was another reminder of how a war can really set a country back decades in the development process. What was really striking to me were the suburban houses and communities that surrounded the city and how that doesn’t exist at all in Liberia. Of course there is still poverty in the city and in the rural towns, but progress is being made.

Suburban homes leaving Accra

While in Ghana, I took the two-and-a-half-hour taxi to Elmina and Cape Coast. Here, I toured the famous castles which once housed slaves before they were sent to the Americas. The castles were stunning, but the thought of the buildings as houses of horror was a sobering reminder of the evils of slavery.

Elmina Castle



 
Elmina fishing port

Door of no return at Cape Coast Castle




Cape Coast Castle











































On my trip outside of Accra, I also visited the Kakum National Park which includes a 1,150-foot canopy tree walk with stunning views of the tropical rainforest.

Kakum National Park
Kakum Forest



























On my last day in Accra I checked out the Kwame Nkrumah monument – a tribute to Ghana’s first post-colonial president and explored more of the growing city.

Kwame Nkrumah Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment