Saturday, June 4, 2016

My New Name is Yarkpawolo

After the training, we headed to Ganta in Nimba County - and the guesthouse where I will be staying for the summer. Everybody at the guesthouse is very welcoming and I already feel at home. After a few days in the office at the beginning of the week, my coworker brought me to Cuttington University in Bong County to meet with the director of the peace and conflict studies program. He was glad to meet me and it turns out that he is good friends with Georgetown's former Associate Director of Conflict Resolution, Craig Zelizer.  I also met with some students and was invited to join some seminars that they will be having throughout the summer. 

On the way back from the university, my coworker said that we needed stopped in a town called Gbarnga because there were some people who he wanted me to meet. He brought me to a pavilion where there were about 20 men sitting and talking aged 20 to 60. He explained to me that this group is an open forum where men frequently gather to discuss matters of politics, social justice, international affairs, and other related topics. When he introduced me to the group, the interrogation from members of the group ensued. What was my analysis of the U.S. presidential election? What do I think about Ellen? (the current Liberian president) Why did I decide to come to Liberia? How will I be an advocate for Liberia when I return? Who is my favorite Liberian president? What do I think about the U.S.'s intervention in Libya? What should be the qualifications for the next president of Liberia? Is there a difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist? What do I think of Mugabe? Is the Western media's depiction of African leaders fair? Why do I think African leaders are so corrupt? Do I agree with the U.S.'s approach in Syria? Do you think Western aid in Africa is doing more harm than good? I really enjoyed giving my honest opinions to all of these questions and I could tell that the forum participants were really interested in what I had to say. I hope I'm able to make it back there before I leave and listen to some of their perspectives


On the way back we drove by Charles Taylor's farm. It was nice. 



Later this week, I worked in the field with the members of some of the Community Forums. One of the major ethnic groups in Bong County is the Kpelle. During the meetings, English is mostly spoken, though some members are more comfortable communicating in the Kpelle language. On Friday afternoon they started calling me Yarkpawolo - which they say in Kpelle translates to "tall man." 

During these meetings, my coworker introduces me to the community members and tells them to pay no mind to the color of my skin. He tells them that "Nick showed me a picture of his mother and she a black lady - he a son." It's funny, because everybody calls me white man here - I would rarely be called that back home, though people usually don't know what ethnicity I am.


Other musings...


I found a gym in Ganta this week! One of my coworkers was telling me that he works out, and I was very pleased to find that there is in fact a small gym. There are only a few (non-matching) free weights and two benches, but that is good enough for me.



Soap operas in Liberia are bizarre. I mean not like in a way that all soap operas are weird, but like really off the wall. The filming is really poor (iPhone quality) and they contain an excess of violence against women.

I've also found that radio DJs in Liberia are very positive. They frequently use Liberian nationalist rhetoric to give inspirational messages of national development and growth. 



I celebrated national doughnut day by eating a Swiss cake roll. Then I had an allergic reaction. Today, I celebrated by eating an actual Liberian doughnut. I feel fine so far... 



Displaying IMG_5061.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment